I am using AVG Freeware antivirus on all my computers for several years. So far, I did not have any problems with it. Just once, it crashed on my son’s PC, and I had to reinstall it. Today, I saw the warning sign on the AVG8 icon and the related error message: a.bin file is missing. I guess there are many people who also keep AVG as their main antivirus shield since the search avg a .bin file is missing made to the Google Hot Trends (line 25) yesterday, August 16, 2008.
So, what is the problem?
Apparently there is an issue with one of the update files, specifically "u7iavi1616oo.bin", as such AVG has pulled the file from public download. AVG is aware of the issue and is working to correct the matter.
How to resolve the problem?
I personally pressed the update button couple of times, loaded updates, and finally after the third attempt the error message disappeared. However, there are many people, who were not able to get rid from the error message with any conventional means. There is a solution that reported to work for all the users who tried, found online:
1) go to »www.grisoft.com/ww.download-update
2) make a directory on your desktop called AVG
3) download AVI: 270.6.4
4) download IAVI: / 1616
5) move the downloaded files to the directory you made called AVG
6) launch AVG
7) select tools -> update from directory
8) select the directory called AVG where you put the downloads.
There is another way of the problem resolution:
1) Start up AVG,click Update Now.
2) The list of updates is shown in Popup; click on the more information link. A list of updates will be shown.
3) Click on and save all updates in a file except the last one - http://downloadfree.avg.com/update/u7iavi1616oo.bin - because this is causing the problem.
4) Cancel the update and instead click on Tools > Update from Directory and go to the file where you saved the updates. Install these and AVG should be working properly again.