Friday, October 17, 2008

Adult ADHD is Real with Howie Mandel

I was born and raised in the Soviet Union. The kids’ responsibilities, as the future communists, were to study day-and-night. I was always a good student, patient and obedient, and all the teachers like me. But my best friend was completely the opposite. He was sharp, smart, and creative. But he simply could not sit still for 45 minutes, and he could not concentrate on the long and boring home works. Once a week, when he showed his journal with class grades to his dad, he usually got a fair portion of the belt beating. But still nothing could force him to overcome his “laziness” and become a good student.

Now, thirty years later, I know, that he simply could not do, what he was required. He definitely had ADHD as a kid. Unfortunately, the completely wrong educational program and household regular prosecutions did so much harm for his self-confidence, that he could not make it, committing suicide at the age of 17. If only everybody knew at this time, that he is not a “bad” boy, he might get a treatment and attitude, which would definitely save his dignity and his life.

Now, the child ADHD is widely accepted. There are treatments, techniques, and drugs to help the affected kid, and the combination of all the factors help living a normal life. But what about adults? Did you know that the Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) is not limited by the certain age patients?

In the News:

Emmy nominated Howie Mandel, host of "Deal or No Deal," is raising awareness about Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) in adults through the national multimedia public service announcement campaign "Adult ADHD Is Real."




This campaign and its Web site, AdultADHDIsReal.com, have been developed by a coalition of groups dedicated to ADHD education and awareness and made possible by Shire, according to a press release. As an adult living with ADHD, Mandel has been tapped to encourage adults who think they may have ADHD to seek diagnosis and evaluation.



"When I was in high school, my impulsivity led me to all kinds of acts and pranks. I had trouble sitting still and could hardly focus or pay attention in class. It wasn’t until I was an adult that I was diagnosed with ADHD," Mandel said in the press release. "I’m involved in the Adult ADHD Is Real campaign because I want adults to know that it’s never too late to seek help for ADHD. I hope that sharing my story encourages people to seek help. I didn’t let ADHD prevent me from achieving my goals and neither should anyone else."

According to the press release, many people may think of ADHD as a childhood disorder, but up to 65 percent of children with the disorder may still exhibit symptoms into adulthood. In U.S. adults, aged 18 - 44, the disorder affects approximately 4.4 percent of this population based on results from the National Comorbidity Survey Replication, a nationally representative household survey, which used a lay-administered diagnostic interview to access a wide range of DSM-IV disorders.

The multimedia campaign features Mandel in television, radio, and print public service announcements.

Additional Reading:

http://www.amny.com/news/health/ny-hsadhd1018,0,3674554.story
http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/howie-mandel-raises-awareness-about/story.aspx?guid=%7B1AF868B2-E633-4471-895F-8C8FC26D3CFE%7D&dist=hppr

No comments: